I almost didn't do this, this year. Heh.
Make a post (public, friends-locked, filtered... whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of ten holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV"). The important thing is to make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) can get in touch with you. Your home address is not required!
Make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ so that the holiday joy will spread.
Surf around your friends list (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now, here's the important part...
If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes one person's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use - or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free - do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf - to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not - it's your call. There are no guarantees with this project, and no strings attached. Just... wish, and it might come true. Give and you might receive. You'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
On with the list!
1. My Amazon
list. Used is absolutely fine!
2. I would love, love, LOVE if someone could make a Chloe/Oliver (Smallville) video set to "Building a Mystery" by Sarah McLachlan. That song reminds me SO much of Oliver, especially from Chloe's POV and I've wanted to see a vid of them set to that for a looong time.
3. Ideas for articles, and places to send articles that might publish them. I've recently gotten back into freelance writing a bit, and have become a Yahoo Contributor
, and I also blog recaps of The Walking Dead
. I have a lot of areas of interest, but I'm having some difficulty coming up with new ideas that people would actually want to read about (and haven't been done a thousand times). And I'd love to branch out with where I'm submitting stuff, as well.
4. People to download and read my friend Angela's book, When the Moon is Gibbous and Waxing
. It's a fun novel that she had published earlier this year, and if you like paranormal romance books, this will be right up your alley. I promise you it's awesome.
5. A job for my cousin Ryan so he can move back to Illinois. He and his family moved to Virginia a few years ago, and they want to move back, but he can't find anything that will pay enough that he can afford to come home. I miss him terribly.
6. Book Recommendations. I think that one of my New Year's goals in 2013 will be to read 101 books in the year. I have several on my list already, but please, tell me your favorites, and maybe a bit about the book(s) and why you like it/them. For an idea of the books I like, some of MY favorites are "The Taking" by Dean Koontz, The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte, "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Piccoult, and any book on writing or creativity ever, especially if they're at all like "No Plot, No Problem" or "The Artist's Way." I adore the YA genre in particular.
7. A donation to St. Jude's
in memory of my friend, Robyn Adele Ford, who died on Nov. 8, 2011, from osteosarcoma. There NEEDS to be a cure for cancer, and I worry that children's cancers, like osteosarcoma, are often overlooked for funding/research.
8. Followers for my co-writer, Val, and I, on our various social platforms: our blog
, and Facebook.
We're just getting started with all of it, but we'd love to have followers/comments and feedback!
9. Easy but creative and fun craft ideas for things that can be given as gifts. I make a lot of things for people throughout the year, but I'm tired of doing the same things all the time, and I'm out of ideas/inspiration.
from Etsy for my guinea pig memorial garden. I've lost three piggies over the years, and recently came across this and it's perfect!
If you need my address, let me know.
Also, if you want to exchange cards with me, drop me a line here, and tell me! :)